What to expect
Pick up is at Fair Harbour at 1:30 p.m. by our guides. A 40 minute boat ride brings you to the lodge. Check in, have a snack and head out for an evening fish. A late dinner will be served on arrival day.
Mornings begin with a hearty breakfast served between 6:00-6:30 a.m. Departure from the dock is half an hour after breakfast.
Lunches are made to go and sent on the boats. You will fish multiple species each full day, usually starting with salmon and followed by halibut, depending on weather and advice from our fishing guides.
Hot soup and fresh bread warm you up once you return to the fishing lodge. Relax, go for a walk nearby or get dropped off on an island for some hiking. Dinner is served around 6:30 p.m.
Departure time to Fair Harbour is at 10:00 a.m.
Choose between grabbing a snack and heading out on the water for a few hours on the last morning of the trip followed by a goodbye breakfast, or sleep in and relax before breakfast and departure.
We hope you enjoyed your fishing vacation and want to return soon!
Drive to us !
Coming from Vancouver, take the Nanaimo Ferry (please make a reservation) either Horshoebay to Departure Bay or Tsawassen to Duke Point and head north past Campbell River, Sayward and Woss. 20 km past Woss, turn left onto the Zeballos Junction. Follow the signs to Fair Harbour.
Getting To Fair Harbour
From Campbell River drive north on Hwy. 19 (towards Port Hardy). Pass Sayward (good place for a pit stop) and Woss, then 20 km past Woss turn left onto the Zeballos junction, which takes you down a 72 km gravel road (active logging, please drive cautiously). Follow the signs to Fair Harbour. We will be there to greet you at 1:30pm.
Do we need proof of vaccination?
Yes, all of our 2022 and future guests will need to provide proof of vaccination, as stated by Worksafe BC.
Also, please note: all of our USA guests will need to be vaccinated to cross the border.
How do we get to Rugged Point Lodge?
Here are a few different options to getting to Rugged Point Lodge:
- Drive to us! From Victoria head north, from the mainland take the BC ferry from either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen terminal to Departure Bay or Duke Point, Nanaimo. Head north on Island Highway towards Campbell River. Follow directions from Campbell River below.
- Driving from Comox airport or Campbell River airport head north on Hwy. 19 towards Port Hardy (NOT towards Gold River). You will pass Sayward (a great place to fuel up) and Woss. 20km past Woss, turn left onto the Zeballos Junction (gravel logging road). Follow the signs to Fair Harbour. We will be there to pick you up by boat.
- Shuttle: A very easy and convenient way to get your group to Fair Harbour. Shuttle service from airport and/or hotel to Fair Harbour return. Pricing is approx. 750 each way for the shuttle.
What time do you pick us up in Fair Harbour on arrival day? And what time are we dropped off on departure day?
During our ocean fishing season June – September, pick up time in Fair Harbour is at 1:30 pm on your day of arrival. You want to leave Campbell River around 10:00 am to make our pick up time. If you are flying into the Comox Airport or Campbell River Airport on your day of arrival, make sure to book your rental vehicle in advance and book the earliest flight you can find. On your day of departure, we drop you off in Fair Harbour around 10:00-10:30 am (leaving the lodge around 9:30 – 10 am). If you need to leave earlier because of travel arrangements, we can leave the lodge anytime that morning.
When is the best time to fish in Kyuquot Sound?
Rugged Point lodge is open from the beginning of June until September 1st. During June, July and August we are fishing the ocean targeting Chinook Salmon, Halibut, and Lingcod. The fishing is very consistent throughout these summer months.
How many guests can stay at Rugged Point Lodge?
- Rugged Point Lodge can comfortably accommodate up to 15 anglers maximum. We have 6 guests rooms all with private washrooms and showers. The three upstairs rooms each sleep two guests, with two twin beds or one king bed for couples. The downstairs three rooms can each sleep up to three guests, with one twin bed and one bunk.
How many fish can I take home?
You can retain 8 salmon (4 of which can be Chinook), 1 or 2 halibut (size limits in place) and 4 lingcod per person per trip.
Do you process our fish?
SRP Processing is a fish processor right in Kyuquot Sound. They offer daily catch services, filleting, portioning, vacuum packing and flash freezing. Nice and simple. Your fish will be ready for you on departure day. This is an extra charge at $2.00/lb.
What things do I need to bring for ocean fishing?
- Covid Update – please bring your own rain gear and gum boots if you have them.
- Clothing that can be layered (weather is unpredictable)
- Sunglasses (polarized)
- Bring your own booze
- Motion sickness prevention medication TRANSDERM – V (Ear patches, please put on in advance)
- Fishing license with salmon stamp (Make sure you print your actual licence and not your receipt) Here is the link
- Personal Toiletries, camera, day bag etc.
- Large cooler for transporting fish. SRP processing also has styrofoam coolers for sale.
- We supply all meals, accommodation, transportation to and from Fair Harbour, guided fishing and all gear.
What kind of boats do you fish in and how many people per boat?
Our fleet consists of five Grady White Boats, two 28ft Sailfish and three 23 ft Gulfstreams. All of our boats are fully guided with gear included. We fish 2 or 3 guests per boat plus your guide.
Are your boats safe?
Yes. All of our boats are Transport Canada-approved and all of our guides have their necessary certificates to guide on the ocean. We also have PFDs for our guests and it is mandatory that they are worn. All boats are equipped with Lowrance electronics, GPS, and VHF Radios.
How do you say Kyuquot and what does it mean?
Kyuquot is a Nuu-Cha-Nulth name pronounced “Ky-YOU-kit” and means “Place of many winds.”
Still have questions?
We don’t want to leave you hanging! Feel free to shoot us a message and we’ll be happy to get back to you ASAP with more information.
Ready to book?
Your fishing trip with Rugged Point Lodge will be one of the best of your life. Contact us today to book the ultimate fishing vacation. Don’t wait, as space is limited and the fishing season is short!